Tuesday, July 31, 2012

DIY Day

So today I decided to do some crafts. I wanted to make something for Dan for his birthday and couldn't think of anything that wasn't "too girly" yet thoughtful. So here's my "DIY day" plan for homemade key chains... Much thanks given to pinterest for the idea!

Yesterday I drove all over Saginaw trying to find supplies I would need for this project. I needed different sizes of washers (doesn't matter what size... Pick to your liking), key chain set, and a stamp set. You'll also need a hammer, black Sharpie and a good steady hand! Oh, and lots of washers because you're sure to make mistakes! Practice makes perfect with this project.

I went to Harbor Freight to buy a stamp set. Super cheap (7.99) and the lady was so helpful! :) went to Walmart and after 20 minutes of searching the store with a crying baby I found someone to help me. Much to my surprise the lady didn't help, at all! But I eventually found a key chain set, and in cool colors for under $5, bonus! I had to go to Menards to find the washers, and they have a whole section of a million different sizes! I was so happy! This entire project cost less than $15, how cool is that??

How to make the key chains:

Step 1
Gather your materials. First you will need a towel, hammer, washers and stamps. Clean the washers. They will most likely be filthy from being in a hardware store and you want the surface clean. Lay them out on a hard surface, I went outside and put a towel on the cement then laid the washers there. (if you don't use a hard surface the stamp will move and it won't be pretty!)

Step 2
Grab your stamps and hammer! Put the stamp where you want it and keep a steady hand! You will have to hammer it about 4 or 5 times to get a good imprint.

Step 3
Clean the washers again, get all the excess dirt off and dry them off. Have a damp paper towel handy (or a baby wipe works wonders!) and grab your black Sharpie marker! Color in the letters that you stamped with your sharpie. Make sure you only color in one letter at a time and quickly wipe away the remaining marker, or else it won't come off! That way your letters will stand out more :)

Step 4
After the marker is dry grab your key chain kit. This is the fun part! Decide which color key chain you want and how you want to put it together. I did two different size washers and one key chain hook. I really like the way it turned out! I'm excited to try more combinations & different sizes.

And that's all there is to it!

So you can pick out whatever size washers you may want and stamp whatever you want on them!! It was super easy & a really great gift idea! Now Dan has a daddy key chain, and I have a mommy one! I also made one for my dear friend, Liz!

:)

2 comments: