Sunday, September 8, 2013

Beautiful Memories

My weekend has been rough. A man very dear to my heart and very influential in our family has passed away. 


Saturday I got the news that he was not doing well after being admitted into the hospital early that morning. Our entire family was reunited at the hospital to gather by Grandpa's side and say our I Love You's, give hugs and hold hands. I stayed up at the hospital with family for most of the day sharing memories with Aunts and Uncles and cousins and having some laughs by his side as he lay in bed holding my Grandma's hand. 

Grandma and Grandpa had a rare love. A love you don't see much of these days. They shared an undying love for each other that was so kind, true and real. They smiled at each other, they held hands every time they sat next to each other and they were best friends. I admired their love since I was a little girl. Growing up around them laughing and holding hands, I wanted a love like theirs. They were the old couple you pictured in movies still hugging, and kissing. 

As I left the hospital Saturday I knew it may be the last time I see my grandfather. He laid there unable to speak to me, unable to look at me but I grabbed his hand and leaned in to give him a kiss. I told him I loved him very much and squeezed his hand. It was so hard for me to let go. I wanted so badly to hang onto him forever until he woke up and said something funny, or said, "okay, yeah... Love you too" in his groggy, old man voice like he always used to. 

Grandpa passed away this Sunday morning. He went peacefully with Grandma and his children by his side. 

He was a great man who would do anything for anyone. He devoted his life to his wife and his family. He made an impact on my life tremendously and he will never be forgotten. 

I love you, Grandpa

Grandpa holding Lennon for the very first time. He loved her and kissed her and told her how beautiful she was. Lennon smiled right back!



No comments:

Post a Comment