Sunday, February 1, 2015

DIY Ruler Growth Chart

DIY Ruler Growth Chart

(This photo is at such a weird angle, I swear my measurements are right!)

Items Needed:
Common Board - 1" x 6" x 8' 
Tape Measure 
Pencil
Paint - (I love using Patio Paint on my wood projects because it's made to last, it's weather proof and it looks great with 1 coat!)
Stain - (I use Minwax Wood Finish Stain)
Number stencils or vinyl - (I prefer stencils so they're painted on instead of vinyl!)
Tape (any kind works!)
Americana Decor's Creme Wax

First I took a 1" x 6" common board cut down to 4 ft. because I want to hang it on my wall 2ft. off the ground. I sanded it to make it look a little more rustic and weathered then stained with Minwax Classic Gray Wood Stain and let dry overnight.


Once the board is completely dry you can take your tape measure and make your tick marks up the entire board. 

I did 1" ticks for the inches, 2.5" ticks for every 6" mark and then 4" ticks for every foot mark. 
Make sense? Look at the photos below...


I then traced over my tick marks with my black paint. I use the Patio Paint in Black to get a good matte finish with the tick marks and numbers. The reason I used Patio Paint Outdoor is because it's thicker, only needed one coat, and it's going to last! Oh, and it covers the pencil marks so you don't have to erase them!! 

I used thin paint brush and tape! Tape is a huge necessity, makes those lines clean and crisp!


See where that tape comes in handy?
It was a perfect straight line and clean so there weren't any squiggles. Peel that tape off right away and then let the lines dry completely.


After all of my tick marks were painted I traced my numbers with a pencil and painted them.
Once the entire board was dry I went over it with Americana Decor's Creme Wax for a smooth and sealed finish!



Ta'da! 
This entire project was so easy, and very cost friendly... literally under $5.00! If you already have all of your painting supplies at home like I did you'll just need to run to your local Home Depot and buy some common board. The 1" x 6" by 8' is the most recommended. They'll cut it to the length you desire - even better! 

I can't wait to watch L grow so I can write on this as she gets older. Let's get growin'!

Happy crafting! 
XO, K.

No comments:

Post a Comment