Monday, January 5, 2015

DIY Coffee Table/Bench Upholstering Project


Well this morning while I was drinking my morning coffee I was doing what I do best... browsing Pinterest. I came across a popular pin about upholstering furniture and of course my mind ran wild thinking of all the things in my house I could repurpose. We recently fixed our ottoman that matches our couch and put it back in the living room so our coffee table was moved to the basement. The lightbulb went off and an hour later I was off to JoAnn's to get some supplies! Thanks to this blog I found on Pinterest I learned about this DIY project and it was so simple to do. Her envelope folding process for the corners is genius and so easy - even for a beginner like me! Check her blog out -- Pink Toes and Power Tools.Here's my DIY coffee table / bench project tutorial!  1. Choose a fabric! The fabric I chose was a thick canvas in the Home Decor section at JoAnn Fabrics nearby. It was recommended that I choose a fabric that was thicker to withstand the use this bench will see over time - JoAnn's had it for $9.99/yard and I had a coupon for 50% off! 2. I took the top of the table off and measured my foam to place on top. 
3. I laid out all of my supplies I would need, most of which I already had lying around the house: fabric, batting (bought at JoAnn's for under $5.00 on SALE, foam, scissors (for cutting the fabric), staple gun (to attach fabric to table top), hot glue gun (for attaching the foam to the table top), screwdriver and plyers (for attaching the table top to the legs).

4. I laid the foam on top of the table and cut the excess off that I didn't need. I then used a hot glue gun to attach the foam matting to the top of the table. 

5. I laid the batting on top of the table to measure and cut the excess off before stapling it down. I bought crib sheet size pre-cut batting in a bag at JoAnn's, originally priced $7.99 and I got it for under $5.00 with the sale and coupon I found on their website. I measured 5" or so to leave on the sides to fold over and have enough room to staple. 

6After the batting was tightened and stapled down I measured the fabric leaving about 5" on each side to ensure enough room to fold over and staple. This was the most tedious part because I had to pull it really tight. 

7. After the fabric was stapled down I laid it out to ensure all sides were done and stapled tight and then matched it up to the legs. I had to use my scissors again to punch the holes through the fabric where the screws needed to go. I fastened the screws and voila - a bench was made! 


















& it's done! I am definitely not a pro at this upholstering thing but I have to say I am very pleased with how this turned out! I can't wait to add a shelf and hooks above the bench to turn this entry way into our mud room!





XO, K.

No comments:

Post a Comment